Each of our plastic surgeons at The Center for Cosmetic Surgery have answered hundreds of questions on the RealSelf website, where people seek the advice of board-certified aesthetic specialists. Some of the most common questions asked are about knowing when it’s the right time to schedule a Mommy Makeover. Our Denver-area Mommy Makeover patients often ask these same questions.
In this blog post, we’ll address several of the factors women should consider when deciding whether the time is right for mommy makeover surgery. It’s important to think about each of these issues to ensure you have a positive experience.
You’re Ready for a Mommy Makeover If…
- Your body has fully healed after childbirth—The combination of procedures typically included in a Mommy Makeover (tummy tuck, liposuction, and a breast lift combined with augmentation) requires the patient to be as healthy as possible. It takes at least 6 months—and for many people up to a year—to fully rebound from the physical toll taken by pregnancy and childbirth.
- You’ve weaned your child—Mothers who breastfeed should wait at least 6 months after they’ve weaned their children before scheduling a Mommy Makeover because hormonal changes continue affecting the size and shape of the breasts.
- You exercise consistently, but you still have unwanted pockets of fat: Women who exercise and eat a healthy diet often lose the “baby weight” but still have bulges or excess skin that can only be corrected with cosmetic surgery.
- You have the time for recovery: The recovery following a Mommy Makeover requires patients to take at 1-2 weeks off from work. Not taking the full time to recover can increase the risk of complications.
- You have a support system: You’ll need plenty of help during the recovery, especially if you have young children at home. Tummy tuck patients have to avoid lifting toddlers, so you’ll need someone to provide childcare.
- Your lack of confidence in your body affects your lifestyle: Some women find they no longer enjoy activities they loved before having children because they’re self-conscious about their bodies. This may be going to beaches or rivers where you normally would wear a bathing suit or feeling uncomfortable going to the gym.
- You’re healthy and a non-smoker: Patients have to stop smoking for several weeks before (and after) undergoing surgery.
- You want to minimize the appearance of a C-section scar: One of the benefits of a tummy tuck is that it typically removes the portion of skin where an incision was made for a C-section delivery.
- You aren’t planning to have more children: It’s possible to get pregnant again after undergoing a Mommy Makeover, but we recommend patients postpone the surgery until they are finished having children because another pregnancy will compromise the results.
- It’s time to do something for yourself: Many moms have difficulty making their needs a priority while raising children. We understand that. But being confident and happy with your appearance is also important. This is a highly personal decision and only you can determine if the time is right.
You can see the types of results our plastic surgeons produce by looking at our gallery of their actual patients’ before-and-after photos. If you believe the time is right for a Mommy Makeover, contact us using the online form to request a consultation or call us at (303) 278-2600 (Golden) or (303) 951-2100 (Denver) to schedule an appointment.