It’s no secret that women who get Mommy Makeover surgery at our Denver practice want a flatter stomach and fuller, more youthful-looking breasts. What may be surprising is that some of our mommy makeover patients aren’t moms.
That’s because the concerns that lead some women to consider the customized plastic surgery procedure are often associated with aging or significant weight loss, even for patients who don’t have children. The truth is, Mommy Makeover candidates include any women who want the physical transformation provided by combining a tummy tuck, liposuction, and cosmetic breast surgery, such as breast augmentation, as well as other cosmetic procedures.
Ideal Candidates for a Mommy Makeover
Even though the suite of cosmetic surgery procedures typically included in a Mommy Makeover can be appropriate for many women, there are certain requirements most plastic surgeons believe are necessary to consider someone an ideal candidate for the operation. Mommy Makeover patients should be:
- In good overall health without any serious medical conditions
- At or near the weight they want to maintain
- In a good, positive mindset with a realistic expectation for the surgery
- Finished having children
- A non-smoker or has quit smoking at least a month before the procedure
One of the most common questions we hear from women considering a Mommy Makeover procedure is if they are too old for the surgery. Age is really a much less important factor when considering if someone’s a good candidate for surgery than the person’s overall health. A 60-year-old woman who leads an active lifestyle that includes regular exercise and good eating habits may be a better candidate than a younger woman who is less healthy.
Mommy Makeover Before-and-After Photos
These photos show a 33-year-old woman who underwent a Mommy Makeover after losing 100 pounds thanks to bariatric surgery. She chose to get a breast lift with implants and a tummy tuck. You can see more before-and-after photos of our patients in our gallery.
Is a Mommy Makeover Right for You?
The best way to answer that question is to understand which specific procedures are performed as part of a Mommy Makeover and the cosmetic concerns they can address.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): Women from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins travel to our practice to have one of our body contouring specialists perform their tummy tucks. For patients who have lost significant weight (either through bariatric surgery or lifestyle changes), a tummy tuck removes the excess skin that usually remains after the surgery. Abdominal skin also begins sagging as we age, and even women who work out and have strong abdominal muscles often can’t tighten their skin.
- Liposuction: Sculpting the final results of a tummy tuck usually involves targeted fat removal using liposuction.
- Breast lift (with or without implants): The loss of breast volume and shape is one of the most common concerns of women after having children. But those same issues occur after weight loss as well. And women know all too well that breasts gradually begin sagging as they get older. Breast augmentation can restore volume, but in many cases, a lift is also needed to create a more youthful shape.
These procedures can all be performed as individual operations, but combining them is often an attractive option because it’s more cost-effective and patients only have to plan for a single recovery. Patients sometimes worry about what’s involved with the recovery process after a surgery that combines multiple procedures. If you do choose to get a Mommy Makeover, you may want to check out one of our earlier blog posts that offers some helpful ideas about making your recovery the best it can be.
Only a personal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can determine if a Mommy Makeover is right for you. You can contact us online to schedule a consultation or call us at (720) 279-1926 to schedule an appointment.