For patients working to achieve a flat, slim midsection, it can be tough to determine when exercise will be enough and when it’s time to seek out surgical help. While many people believe more hours in the gym will tighten and tone their abdominal area, the reality is that it’s often loose skin, not fat volume, that is keeping their body from looking its best. A tummy tuck
at our Denver practice may be the finishing touch they need to achieve their aesthetic goal.
If you’re wondering whether it’s time for you to consider tummy tuck options, we hope this guide to the surgery and its benefits will provide you with some helpful insight.
What happens during a tummy tuck procedure?
During tummy tuck surgery, your surgeon removes excess skin and tightens your abdominal muscles to create a firmer, flatter midsection. Variations include:
- Full tummy tuck: This addresses the whole midsection with an incision from hip bone to hip bone, very low on the abdomen, which is usually hidden under the bikini line. With this method, your belly button will be repositioned using a technique designed to keep the area looking natural and seamless.
- Mini tummy tuck: This only addresses issues below the navel. It does not reposition the belly button, but may reshape it to maintain a natural look. It’s quite rare for someone to be a mini tummy tuck candidate. Most people are best served by a full tummy tuck procedure.
Both surgeries are outpatient procedures, and people typically return to work after 10 to 15 days. Traditional tummy tuck recovery often involves drains, but at our practice, we almost always perform a “no-drain tummy tuck.” This uses progressive tension sutures to eliminate the space where fluid would otherwise accumulate, making for a smoother and more comfortable recovery.
Who can a tummy tuck help?
The tummy tuck continues to be one of the most popular surgical procedures because it’s helpful to so many patients. A recent survey
by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons showed doctors continue to place it among their top 3 most requested procedures, and they predict it will remain just as popular in the year ahead.
This popularity may be due to the fact that lax stomach skin is a very common concern. Many people experience it after pregnancy or weight loss, and it’s not something that can be solved through diet or exercise. Surgery is really the only long-term solution and anyone struggling with excess skin around the abdomen may benefit from a tummy tuck.
What are the benefits of a tummy tuck?
Other than the immediate aesthetic benefits, a tummy tuck may also offer several unexpected perks, including:
- Health motivation: Finally seeing the slimmer, more sculpted abdomen you’ve been working toward may reinvigorate your desire to stay in shape. You may also start getting better results from abdominal exercises you struggled with before.
- Confidence boost: Tummy tuck patients often find themselves experimenting with new clothing styles and taking on new activities they previously shied away from.
- Combining procedures: When you choose a tummy tuck, you can make the most of your time in the office by combining it with another procedure. Many women add a breast enhancement procedure in a combination known as a Mommy Makeover.
If you think a tummy tuck may be right for you, we invite you to take a look at our guide to the procedure
. To take your first step in the surgery process, please contact us
online or call (303) 278-2600 to request a consultation.